drm-i915kms + x11-intel eats out all of the ram and swap but not with x11-scfb

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Fri Apr 17 19:09:47 UTC 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 7:02 PM Jan Beich <jbeich at freebsd.org> wrote:
> xf86-video-intel support ends after CoffeeLake. Current version in ports/
> is more than 1 year old, so maybe try the patch in bug 236003.
>
> Outside of DDX Intel deprecated pre-Broadwell support:
> - beignet is abandoned in favor of compute-runtime (aka NEO)
> - intel-vaapi-driver is maintenance-only in favor of media-driver
> - i965 development slowed down in favor of iris (default since Mesa 20.0.0)

Thank you Jan! To be honest I just need several monitors to work, web
browser, KiCAD, FreeCAD, Blender, most of my work I do in a
terminal+tmux anyway :-) Nice image quality, 3D acceleration, and
OpenCL would be really nice to have but not a blocker to work (it
would bring efficiency and comfort for sure). For years I was using
simple vesa video driver on my FreeBSD laptop and I could live with
that. I had another machine for multimedia (macOS). Now  I am working
only on a FreeBSD laptop, so basic work requirements come first. I am
keeping my fingers for DRM KMS Intel for my laptop (multiple monitors)
and AMDGPU OpenCL for my workstation (GPU computing). Threre is no
reason to invest time into something that is dead already (x11-intel).

> Unlikely. modesetting reached "good enough" level while X11 is
> deprecated in favor of Wayland. Compared to Mesa or Wayland compositors
> there's little activity in xserver repo nowadays.

For years I did work on Xfce4. Now I am working on Enlightenment WM,
they stated Weyland support is already there and they plan to abandon
X11, so maybe its time to play again with Weyland, thanks for
motivating :-)

> See also https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/merge_requests/24
>
> Given modesetting uses glamor picture quality may depend on Mesa.
> Try using more recent version, especially "iris" driver.
>
> https://github.com/myfreeweb/freebsd-ports-dank/blob/lite/graphics/mesa-dev
> https://github.com/evadot/freebsd-ports/tree/mesa/graphics/mesa
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D23161

Its good to know people are working on it.. should show up one day on
my desktop too :-)

Best regards! :-)
Tomek