Upgrading 11.3 -> 12.1 [was Re: Radeon 5770, graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod, and graphics/drm-fbsd11.2-kmod]

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Apr 14 05:37:03 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020, 10:54 PM Scott Bennett <bennett at sdf.org> wrote:

> Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> problem

> that
> > > in
> > > >
> > >      How new does binutils have to be?  The last time a portmaster -a
> run
> > > updated it was on 25 February, though I have no idea when the time
> before
> > > that might have been.  I.e., I can't say which version was installed by
> > > 26 Nov. 2019.
> > >
> > That should be new enough, but you may need to turn the cross build knobs
> > to build with 'external toolchain items'. Are you doing that? If not,
> then
> > I'll look into which ones you need.
> >
>      Not that I know of.  That has not been the standard procedure for
> source-
> based upgrades across major release changes as long as I've been a FreeBSD
> user.
>      While you're looking into that, would you please find out if there is
> anything special I will need to do about the boot loader phases in
> upgrading?
> Changes to the boot loaders caused me considerable grief a while back just
> within 11-STABLE, and I'd like to be better prepared, rather than run into
> similar problems again.

I'm trying to understand why this upgrade isn't working for you. It should
be a no brainer easy thing based on what I know. The fact that it's not
means there is something i don't know that's standing in the way. I'd like
to know what that is.

I'd also like to understand the boot loader thing better too. I didn't
think anything we'd merged was a huge hassle. Maybe the two are related.
Maybe there is some left over config that caused both? Maybe it's two
different things.

In either even, I'd like to understand...

Warner