Radeon 5770, graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod, and graphics/drm-fbsd11.2-kmod

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Mon Apr 13 13:07:51 UTC 2020

On 13/04/2020 12:31, Scott Bennett wrote:

>> I believe so, but I don't have the hardware to test.
>> drm-fbsd11.2-kmod is fairly old though, and only works on 11.  Any
>> reason you haven't updated to FreeBSD 12?
>       Yes.  To date, every attempt to build 12.1-STABLE on my 11.3-STABLE
> system has failed in seconds.  I have no idea how I can upgrade to 12.1-STABLE
> until I can build it.  I do emphatically *not* intend to install from scratch
> again, especially not given the thoroughly braindead ZFS installation option in
> the FreeBSD installer.  I bit the bullet *once* just to get to root-on-ZFS under
> 11.1, and it required a *lot* of work to get it configured the way I wanted it
> because of the idiot installer.

Do you mean 12-STABLE or 12.1-RELEASE? What's exactly failing? I
compiled 12-STABLE successfully last week, albeit admittedly not on 11.

>       Thus, for the fifth time since I began using FreeBSD at the beginning of 2005
> (5.2.1-RELEASE), I do not have safely usable graphics on my system.  That leaves
> me with only lynx(1) as a web browser and many other applications I can't run.
> mplayer, for example, is only good for audio files, not video files.  Even though
> NetBSD just introduced ZFS in 9.0, mprime, which I run, is not available for any
> other BSD besides FreeBSD.  Also, it's not clear to me that pools upgraded to the
> features introduced in FreeBSD 11.2 can be used with whatever level of ZFS is
> currently imported into NetBSD.  So NetBSD isn't an option for me.  AFAIK, none of
> the other BSDs have ever implemented superpages either.  So, for the nonce, I am
> stuck with FreeBSD.

I share your pain. I can't use any of my desktop with FreeBSD 12-X apart
from one, which is running an NVidia based graphics. But I just learned
recently that 13 CURRENT works on the one that has AMD Vega 64 so maybe
I will convince myself to take more risk and switch, at least a desktop
(not any of my servers), to 13 CURRENT?

--
GrzegorzJ