Ars Technica article

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon Apr 13 10:02:26 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-13 09:11, Warner Losh wrote:

First off: I'm not trying to rant and/or discuss the direction the
project is taking. I'll avoid being dragged into it.

> Let me be blunt: it's my goal to remove drm-legacy-kmod as quickly as
> possible.

Is it working for anyone? If not, then you might as well go ahead.

Personally I've gone back to X 1.19, more or less maintaining my own
copy of the old ports.
(I know this is not "a good thing", but I wouldn't be here writing this,
otherwise).

> People that have broken hardware need to step up and provide
> fixes for that old hardware in the drm-kmod context

I'd gladly do this.
I just don't have the expertise, since I know almost nothing on X internals.
If someone could provide some pointers to documentation, I'd be glad
about it.

> or buy new hardware.

That's something I might consider too in a short future.
However, I find it hard to choose: I'm not sure some hardware will work
until I try it.
I understand the manufacturers are working hard to confuse things with
with their namings, but I also find it hard to find fresh, coherent
informations on the FreeBSD side.

  bye & Thanks
	av.