Users of x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-legacy

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 13 07:29:18 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-12 17:21, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 2020-04-12 09:54, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>> On 2020-04-11 16:43, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>>
>> Some more info as I investigate:
>
> I tried some debugging and what I think is happening is that the root
> windows get created and painted black (through pixman, with SSE
> instructions).
> However at about 300kB into the buffer (which should be around 900kB)
> that segfaults.
> Is it possible that the memory is allocated wrong/in the wrong place?
>
> I went into the BIOS: I can choose to use the GPU's own memory, memory
> shared from main RAM or both. Also if memory should be mapped below or
> above 4G.
> Those settings do not seem to make any difference, however.
>

> The above is with drm-kmod-legacy (or drm from base).
>
> xf86-video-ati-legacy seems to work with drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, instead
> (which, OTOH gives different problems).

Hi!
Thank you for helping out and testing, unfortunately there is not much
to do if it does not work.  I don't have the time or hardware to get an
older xf86-video-ati to maybe build with xserver 1.20.
The reason xf86-video-ati-legacy works with drm-fbsd12.0-kmod is that
the updated kmod uses newer APIs etc.  At one point, xf86-video-ati was
updated to make these work, and when we updated xf86-video-ati in ports
to the latest version to get support for more modern hardware,we had to
create xf86-video-ati-legacy for use with drm-legacy-kmod.  This was
always one of those stop-gap measures.

> To recap the various combinations.
>
> With X.Org 1.19.6 + drm from base + xf86-video-ati-legacy everything
> worked fine.

Yes, because the things that ati-legacy uses that caused it to break was
changed between xserver 1.19 and 1.20.

> Now on to 1.20.8, drm from base or drm-kmod-legacy +
> xf86-video-ati-legacy: I get a crash.
>
> Moving to drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, I completely lose HDMI output and DVI
> output doesn't work properly (screen flashes continuously, unless I
> reduce full resolution): I have to use VGA output (sigh).
>
> I also tried xf86-video-ati (non legacy): everything seems the same,
> except the machine will sometimes hang.
> (I have not experienced an hang *yet* with xf86-video-ati, but it's been
> to short a time to conclude anything).

Is this with drm-kmod or drm-legacy-kmod?

> So I guess your patch works, at least in some cases. It's possible the
> problems I'm having are not due to xf86-video-ati-legacy, but to some
> other component.
>
>   bye & Thanks
>      av.

Regards