Users of x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-legacy

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Sun Apr 12 15:21:29 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-12 09:54, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 2020-04-11 16:43, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>
> Some more info as I investigate:

I tried some debugging and what I think is happening is that the root
windows get created and painted black (through pixman, with SSE
instructions).
However at about 300kB into the buffer (which should be around 900kB)
that segfaults.
Is it possible that the memory is allocated wrong/in the wrong place?

I went into the BIOS: I can choose to use the GPU's own memory, memory
shared from main RAM or both. Also if memory should be mapped below or
above 4G.
Those settings do not seem to make any difference, however.

The above is with drm-kmod-legacy (or drm from base).

xf86-video-ati-legacy seems to work with drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, instead
(which, OTOH gives different problems).

To recap the various combinations.

With X.Org 1.19.6 + drm from base + xf86-video-ati-legacy everything
worked fine.

Now on to 1.20.8, drm from base or drm-kmod-legacy +
xf86-video-ati-legacy: I get a crash.

Moving to drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, I completely lose HDMI output and DVI
output doesn't work properly (screen flashes continuously, unless I
reduce full resolution): I have to use VGA output (sigh).

I also tried xf86-video-ati (non legacy): everything seems the same,
except the machine will sometimes hang.
(I have not experienced an hang *yet* with xf86-video-ati, but it's been
to short a time to conclude anything).

So I guess your patch works, at least in some cases. It's possible the
problems I'm having are not due to xf86-video-ati-legacy, but to some
other component.

  bye & Thanks
	av.