Fw: FreebSD12 xorg with -AMDGPU- RADEON

andrew glaeser bugs at irregulaire.info
Wed Sep 11 08:46:52 UTC 2019

To tell you the truth, I had some more hassle with my computer, it turned out

in fact, that at 10°C lower air-temperature, at an average of 20°C, the

problem was basically the same, PCB-turbo is nonsense, just does not work

without throttling, no matter which frequency you set for it.

But it turned out, that powerd was the culprit, because of its default

strategy of adaptive-hi, so this had to be changed in order to avoid massive

throttling, and a maximum CPU-frequency of 2.3 GHz seems feasible now.

Base-frequency is 1.2 GHz (i.e. multiplier 12 in UEFI), and I have 1333

MHz memory-clock now.

So it is OK to enable CPU core-boost, but maximum CPU-frequency needs to be

limited by powerd:

> root at fbsd12:~ # cat /etc/rc.conf

.
..
> powerd_enable="YES"
> powerd_flags="-a adaptive -m 1200 -M 2300"
..
.

this way one gets a more dynamic system, avoiding to run at constant

CPU-frequency, while still avoiding irq-18 throttling and saving electrical

power.

The problem was new to me, because this PC used to run with debian-linux in

legacy mode, my other computers do too, to be honest, thermal throttling never

had been any issue so far.

Personally I do not have any problem with underclocking, but it is still

strange, that it is necessary, and it has some impact on system-performance,

but less impact than massive throttling.

Massive irq-18 throttling basically keeps the system usable while working

headless over SSH, but when sitting at the BSD-desktop, it accumulates to an

IRQ-storm, so newly opened windows, from GIMP for instance appear black, and

indeed you cannot continue with your work.

So, if you experience anything similar, then please think of

powerd-configuration, changing anything about ACPI-tables was not necessary

in my case, it also appears too complicated.