drm-kmod vmwgfx.ko Crashes system

Jacob Meadows jardows at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 18 15:45:28 UTC 2019

I saw that drm-kmod installs vmwgfx.ko.  I thought this would be nice to enable 3d acceleration in my VMWare player VM, but every time I load it, the virtual machine freezes.

I have tried putting a line in the rc.conf like for the amdgpu.ko, and directly loading via kldload.  I have tried with the VM setting 3d acceleration on and off.  I have tried with 12.0-RELEASE, 13-CURRENT, and now 12.1-RC1.  The crazy thing is I cannot find any errors recorded /var/log/messages, simply some information about the driver loading, then nothing and the system locks up.

I am having a hard time finding any documentation regarding this driver.  Is it designed to work with VMWare player, or perhaps it is for ESXi only?