X crashes system?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Mar 1 20:03:37 UTC 2019

On 3/1/19 11:46 AM, Robert Huff wrote:
> 	[I'm including both graphics and x11 becasue I haven't been able
> to narrow it down, and because extra brains might see something.]
>
> Hello:
> 	1) I have an older and64 system with a Radeon HD 3300/RS780 gpu.
> 	2) I recently upgraded it from 11-RC2 to
>
> 	FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT r344507  amd64
>
> 	and recompiled (from source) _all_ installed ports.
> 	3) When I originally booted the new system, it was not using any
> of the new drm system ... and everything worked fine using the vesa
> driver.  (Slowly, but fine.)
> 	With the oft-tested patience of Niclas Zeising
> (zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se) I got drm-legacy-kmod and gpu-firmware-kmod
> working.
> 	Sort of.
> 	4) With:
>
> 	kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
>
> 	in rc.conf, the system boots, recognizes the gpu, comes
> successfully to the console with vtys 1-11 enabled. Every that needs
> text mode runs correctly and the system is stable.
> 	5) If I start xdm, the login screen appears and accepts input.
> If I don't actually log in, this is also stable (for 24 hours and
> counting).
> 	6) If I _do_ log in, .xsession is processed correctly and the
> display accepts input.  However: the system will then panic after a
> time ranging from 60 seconds to 30 minutes.  This happens even if the
> only two programs running are the window manager (fvwm) and xmessage
> (used to end the X session) and there's no activity on mouse or
> keyboard.
> 	And: while the system is up, moving/resizing a window will -
> sometimes - leave visual artifacts on the screen.
> 	7) Superficial examination of the crash dumps appears to show a
> variety of memory errors; analysis beyond that is why I'm here.
> 	8) The last three crash dumps, along with dmesg.boot, xorg.conf
> and Xorg.0.log, can be found at:
>
> 	http://209.6.230.48:8888/~huff/crash/
>
> 	9) If this is something I caused  - /mea maxima culpa/.  I just
> want to find out what's happening and fix it (if possible).

Hi Robert,
Taking at look at your supplied Xorg.0.log I notice this bit:

[ 58663.322] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/local/lib/dri/r600_dri.so failed (Shared object "libLLVM-6.0.so" not found, required by "r600_dri.so")
[ 58663.322] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[ 58663.322] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (Shared object "libLLVM-6.0.so" not found, required by "swrast_dri.so")

This would seem to imply to me that the port or package of llvm60 is not
installed (or incorrectly installed) on your system.  On my end it looks
like so:

$ pkg which /usr/local/llvm60/lib/libLLVM-6.0.so
/usr/local/llvm60/lib/libLLVM-6.0.so was installed by package llvm60-6.0.1_6
$

I am not sure if that will fix your issues, but it is one thing I spotted.

cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright