Sway, Wayland, and Xwayland

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Tue Jun 11 21:23:55 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 19:24, Johannes Lundberg <johalun at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:
> On 6/10/19 7:03 PM, Jan Beich wrote:
>>  (CC'ing appropriate public list. I don't help privately.)
>>
>>  Dale Brazelton <dalebrazelton at outlook.com> writes:
>>
>>> I've managed to get Sway working but am
>>>  unable to get any X11 apps to work thru xwayland. For instance if I
>>>  start sway and then start firefox from my terminal app (alacritty)
>>>  nothing happens.
>>
>>  Did you change any port options in x11-wm/sway or one of its
>> dependencies?
>>  Did you define LIBGL_DRI3_ENABLE=1 in environ(7) to avoid llvmpipe
>> fallback?
>>  Does $DISPLAY in alacritty session and Xwayland 1st argument in
>> ps(1) match?
>>  Can you show "sway -d" output? IIRC, Sway starts Xwayland on first
>> use.
>>  Can you try "firefox --new-instance --profile $(mktemp -dt
>> ffprofile)"?
> Other simple X apps like xclock, or even glxgears that need Xwayland
> run
> but are not displayed. The window seem to be  simply hidden. IIRC
> there
> was a fix to this but I can't remember what that was. I tried
> enable/disable DRI3 but to no success...

Xwayland windows not displaying is the good old ioctl permission thing:

https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/33#issuecomment-422793245
<<<

 ^^^ maybe it's time to merge my workaround since no one's found the
root cause ^^^