libXrandr, -fPIC compiler option is off

Niclas Zeising zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se
Thu Jul 4 13:47:51 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-04 15:27, p.cigularov at bally-wulff.de wrote:
> Petar Cigularov schrieb am 04.07.2019 15:27
> Hello,
>
> I ran into a problem  when linking a software against libXrandr on a FreeBSD 12, x64. It turned out that -fPIC option, for generating position independent code is not per default turned on.
> After recompile libXrandr with -fPIC everything linked fine.
> I'm writing this because, libXrandr is a shared lib and as such it has to be compiled with -fPIC by default on and I think, it will be better if you change the package default settings to be always on.

Hi!
libXrandr is using the default flags from autotools/libtool.  Looking at
the commit history, this hasn't intentinally changed lately.
Furthermore, at least as far as I can tell, it is linked with -fPIC, at
least when I run it with poudriere.  I also had no problem linking
against it, and it is used by quite a number of ports in the FreeBSD
ports system, and I haven't had any reports about issues linking against
libXrandr.

Can you please double check your environment and your build of
libXrandr, to make sure it is built properly.

Regards
--
Niclas