mesa-dri uses llvm60

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 01:13:59 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:36 AM Brooks Davis <brooks at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 06:14:04PM -0500, Robert Huff wrote:
> >
> >       Is it posible to use the system compiler (7.0) on amd64?
> >       (llvm is a hog - 800 mb installed, and 2+ hours to compile.  I'd
> > _love_ to get rid of it.)
>

> https://wiki.freebsd.org/WhyDoIHaveToBuildLLVMWhenIAlreadyHaveClangInstalled#preview
>
> TL;DR: No, mesa (like basically all modern 3D graphics systems) depends
> on parts of LLVM that the base system can't include due to a lack of
> interface stability.
>
> -- Brooks

OK. I think that we have now resolved that mesa requires a full LLVM
install. Can we get back to what I thpought was the original question? Does
mesa-dri require llvm-60 or will it work properly with llvm70. I was under
the impression that recent version of mesa could be built and run with
either with 6 or 7 and this port is the only reason I have both versions
installed. If llvm70 is adequate, I can delete llvm6 and free up a lot of
space as all of my other ports requiring full LLVM can or must use 7.

I have built it with llvm70 which requires a single character change to
Makefile.common. Built just fine, bit I can't test it until I can restart X
and that might be a day or more.

BTW, I never build compilers. gcc, clang or rust. I always install the
package. I just can't justify the time and CPU it takes to build from
source.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com