Xwayland: i965_dri.so does not support the 0xffffffff PCI ID

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Sat Jan 12 15:31:25 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 2:36 PM, Jan Beich <jbeich at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> I'm new to Wayland. As some applications either don't support Wayland
> or
> have bugs I'm relying on Xwayland. Unfortunately, Xwayland fails to
> pass
> device information to Mesa for hardware to be recognized. Any clues?
[…]
> [xwayland/xwayland.c:103] WAYLAND_SOCKET=18 Xwayland :1 -rootless
> -terminate -listen 16 -listen 17 -wm 60
> i965_dri.so does not support the 0xffffffff PCI ID.
> Refusing to try glamor on llvmpipe
> EGL setup failed, disabling glamor
> Failed to initialize glamor, falling back to sw

That's weird, I don't remember that kind of issue…

Driver name detection was fixed in
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/db8519a369261cdedda50852facc45616d4eba28
a long time ago, but that used to happen in the clients and you have
i965 detected correctly anyway, it's i965 itself complaining.

I used to need to 'export LIBGL_DRI3_ENABLE=1' for Xwayland apps to
work (not sure why I don't anymore, maybe because my build of Mesa
doesn't have the patch from ports that shuffles some DRI3 defaults
around, if that patch is still there). But again, that's for apps — I
don't think driver loading ever failed in the Xwayland server itself.

There's a permissions bug in drm-kmod that results in Xwayland windows
being invisible for me:
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/33 but it affects
AMDGPU and is not the same kind of problem.

I recently saw the exact "ffffffff" message in
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/7953 (on Linux) — the
issue was just starting a KMS application inside a Wayland compositor
(i.e. a DRM master already existed). Not what's happening here though…

Google also finds that message in
https://github.com/letoram/arcan/issues/129 (but looks like there the
compositor itself was failing, not Xwayland) and
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-July/034404.html
— as a workaround you can try the PCI ID override environment
variable from that link.