GPU hang on ThinkPad T420 with drm-kmod on 12.0-RELEASE

Kevin Zheng kevinz5000 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 02:16:41 UTC 2019

On 1/4/19 7:10 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> First, sorry if I have forgotten about things early in the thread.
>
> Have you examined xorg.0.log to confirm which driver is actually
> running? Do you have multimedia/libva-intel-driver installed? If so, is
> HYBRID enabled in the configuration? I had hangs with it in the past,
> but it's been working for over two days now with a recent 12.0-STABLE
> (r342382),mesa-18.3.1 and modesetting. Also, I run with SCHED_4SD, not
> the default SCHED_ULE scheduler.

Ah! I was confused when you mentioned xf86-intel-driver earlier; I was
indeed running that instead of the modesetting driver.

I was not aware at all of the modesetting driver... perhaps it'd be good
to document somewhere, like maybe the pkg-message for drm-kmod?

> Are you running SNA or EXA? xorg.0.log might provide some useful
> information.

I don't know what SNA or EXA are.

I'll report back if I get another hang with the modesetting driver. It
can take a while to shake out.

Thanks,
Kevin

--