Intel UHD Graphics 620

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 2 09:29:01 UTC 2019

Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> writes:

> On 12/8/18 11:49 AM, Jan Beich wrote:
>
>> Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> writes:

>>> there is a "drm-kmod" meta-port which you can install.  it should
>>> auto-detect the appropriate package to install, which in this case
>>> should be the drm-devel-kmod.
>> drm-kmod selects drm-devel-kmod only on 13.0-CURRENT atm. Are you sure
>> regular users are gonna run that?
>

> yes I believe that is intended for people on CURRENT. It should also
> select the appropriate version for users on RELEASE builds as well
> which is assumed what most regular users will be running. Niclas or
> someone else can correct me if that is not currently the case tho! :)

As you've noticed the approach of selecting kernel DRM driver based
solely on FreeBSD version is flawed. It's not guaranteed a given PCI ID
(or "chip") would be supported by the selected drm-*-kmod version.
In the quote above the user was on FreeBSD 11.2 and probably installed
drm-stable-kmod via drm-kmod which would be "appropriate" iff the driver
actually attached. Since then drm-stable-kmod was renamed to drm-fbsd11.2-kmod
and updated to drm-v4.11 branch but still no Whiskey Lake support.

Here's another example:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/new-to-freebsd-cant-get-integrated-graphics-driver-to-work.68948/
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/blob/drm-v4.20-rc6/include/drm/i915_pciids.h#L389