drm-kmod not working with Radeon HD 8000

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Feb 5 05:12:11 UTC 2019

On 2/4/19 6:33 PM, Eric via freebsd-x11 wrote:
> Hello guys!
>
> I'm trying to use my radeon graphics card for a while, but don't seems that it's possible. I don't know where to look at anymore :/ I've tryied to use the drm-kmod, drm-legacy-kmod and some other variants with kld_list=amdgpu or radeonkms or /boot/modules/amdgpu.ko... none seems to work, only when I use "i915kms.ko", which works fine but don't seems to use graphics aceleration.
>
> I'm missing something or my graphics is really not supported? If so, there is someway to help with this driver? I really want to put it to work.
>
> Thanks! More details in attachments.
>
> PS: My last dmesg output is that which is working. The other ones was my try with amdgpu and radeonkms.

Hard to debug without a detailed description of what isn't specifically
working.  For a starting point make sure you are following the
instructions here closely:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#AMD_Graphics

if you have followed all these instructions (including the update to
loader.conf) please let us know what you are experiencing.  Is your
system locking up becoming unresponsive?  Or is X failing to load?
Since this is a Radeon system you'll def want to focus on using the
amdgpu kernel module first.

a quick glance at your dmesg when loading amdgpu it looks like there is
an issue loading the firmware if I'm reading this correctly:

[drm] BIOS signature incorrect 90 66
[drm] BIOS signature incorrect 0 0
[drm] BIOS signature incorrect 0 0
pci_platform_rom not implemented -- see your local kernel hacker
[drm:amdgpu_get_bios] Unable to locate a BIOS ROM
drmn1: Fatal error during GPU init

I would suggest reinstalling the gpu-firmware-kmod-g20181104  pkg as a
first step if the instructions in the wiki don't help.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org