Radeon Vega 8 and drm-fbsd12.0-kmod

J. Altman freebsd at chthonixia.net
Sat Feb 2 17:37:56 UTC 2019

Greetings, listmembers...

I have a new installation of 12.0; and the APU shows as a Vega 8
APU. Sources for /usr/sys and /usr/ports are new.

The DRM in the subject builds and installs fine; but using the
recommendations for loading via rc.conf amdgpu.ko (and yes, I have
tried using sysconS and not syconF via loader.conf...no help there)
does not work....it's the usual black screen, unresponsive
keyboard, with eventual failure of the machine and a hang requiring
a mechanical re-start.

I've a bunch of pciconf and other output, but before I start tossing
that at people, I want to ask:

Is it possible that, since I see no explicit mention of Vega 8 in any
directory related to building the DRM in the subject, my machine fails
due to that lack? I do see explicit listings for Vega 10...IIRC, it's
in gpu-firmware-kmod build directory?

FWIW, I can see the Raven firmware loading, but again: the machine hangs
after a short period.

So: is it a lack of Vega 8 firmware?

Thanks, and best regards,

Joe Altman