Problems after removal of deprecated ports (r514510)

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 1 12:23:47 UTC 2019

On 2019-11-30 22:23, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> After the large removal of several ports that had been deprecated upstream,
> a log of things broke due to not finding linked dynamic shareable
> libraries. These included at least x11/xset and x11/mate-screensaver. There
> are likely more. This resulted in a barely usable environment.
>
> All that was required was to rebuild the ports, but affected ports really
> needed a PORTREVISION bump to avoid this. Once they go into the quarterly
> (unless a full build of all ports is done for the quarterly) the problems I
> saw will likely pop up for a lot more people. I still have not figured out
> how to get my volume control buttons to work again. If I can't track it
> down I'll probably file a bug report. Clues appreciated!
>
> Running 12.1-STABLE r354672 and MATE. All ports are current.

Hi!
I'm not entirely sure I understand the issue.  I bumped all ports that
required changes (had dependencies removed or needed other fixes) as I
went along.  I also have had no problems when using packages after the
removals.
Are you saying there are ports with hidden (undeclared) dependencies
that need bumping?  At least mate-screensaver was bumped when I removed
the dependency on libXxf86misc, and xset was also bumped with the
removal of liXfontcache.

How are you building your ports?
Regards
--