HEADSUP: drm-current-kmod now installs sources

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 14 18:04:08 UTC 2019

On 8/14/19 10:23 AM, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 10:13:48 -0700
> John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> On 8/14/19 9:22 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:
>>> This all sounds vaguely wrong, backwards, to me.  A developer who is
>>> using a given module on their build system might want that module to be
>>> rebuilt automatically, but only if the build parameters match those of
>>> the running build host system.
>>>
>>> If my build host is running freebsd 12 amd64 and I'm doing a build for
>>> freebsd 13 armv7, I have no interest in automatic rebuilds of an amd64
>>> driver module for a different OS arch and version just because that
>>> module happens to be installed on the system I use to do crossbuilds.
>>>
>>> My objections are theoretical... this automation just seems improperly
>>> designed to me.  But it won't actually affect me in any way, because I
>>> don't build video driver modules from ports, and I don't run freebsd
>>> current on my build host machine.  Probably the number of people doing
>>> crossbuilding is small enough that nobody else is going to object to
>>> this "the whole world is amd64" automation.
>>
>> You assume DRM is amd64-only when it is definitely not.  It also has
>> suitable guards in its Makefile to only build the relevant kernel
>> modules on supported architectures.
>
>  I clearly don't want to spend time to build the drm and radeon modules
> when I'm hacking on arm64.

Didn't you when DRM2 was in base?  Do you use MODULES_OVERRIDE now to
limit the number of modules you are building?  Setting LOCAL_MODULES would
be no different to setting MODULES_OVERRIDE.  If you aren't setting
MODULES_OVERRIDE, then I don't buy your argument as the default set of
modules dwarfs DRM several times over.

--
John Baldwin