drm-kmod: AMD Ryzen Vega 8?

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Mon Aug 5 16:22:06 UTC 2019

On August 5, 2019 6:39:07 PM GMT+03:00, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:

>Uh, OK. I understood the problem was with the efi loader (BOOTX64.efi)
>and that the file was updated.

Interesting. I don't recall anything about that in the commits. Though ACPI/EFI/etc related memory mapping improvements happened very very recently. I'll retest once again.

> I don't use grub.

That (and the above) gives me an idea… I'll try grub :)

>Please don't tell me I am so lucky to have two different systems setup
>in a way that didn't supposed to work :)

The issue never affected i915! So your laptop was supposed to work.

>What's PRIME?

The modern way of passing GPU buffers around, used by DRI3 and Wayland-EGL. The name is a reference to Optimus Prime, because Nvidia's dual GPU laptop system is called Optimus.

> complained that the framebuffer couldn't be
>found
>if "admgpu" was loaded.

Interesting. What is the error exactly? What is the exact GPU/laptop model? Does google find reports of the same error on Linux?