drm-kmod: AMD Ryzen Vega 8?

Kurt Hackenberg kh at panix.com
Sun Aug 4 00:08:23 UTC 2019

I have a question about support for a specific graphics processor.  I
haven't found the answer anywhere, not even on the wiki page on
graphics.

I'm trying to run FreeBSD on a new HP desktop PC with an AMD Ryzen 3
2200G processor, which includes a Vega 8 graphics processor.  I've
installed package drm-kmod-g20190710 and loaded module amdgpu, and it
hangs during boot.

Without loading that module, booting succeeds, but /dev/dri doesn't
exist and the X server refuses to run.

I've seen the statement that the AMD drivers conflict with the EFI
frame buffer.  That doesn't apply; I boot FreeBSD through the "legacy"
mechanism, not through UEFI.

The boot messages say the processor is

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics     (3493.52-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="AuthenticAMD"  Id=0x810f10  Family=0x17  Model=0x11  Stepping=0

plus a long list of features.

In /boot/modules, I see files whose names include amdgpu_vega10,
vega12, vega20, and vegam, but not vega8.

Is drm-kmod intended to support Vega 8?  Will it ever?