Keyboard troubles with recent Xorg

Milan Obuch freebsd-x11 at dino.sk
Thu Sep 27 09:47:27 UTC 2018

Hi,

I installed new system from scratch, board is AAEON APLC2 (UP squared),
see https://www.aaeon.com/en/p/iot-gateway-maker-boards-up-squared for
details. OS installation from USB flash, 12-ALPHA7 went basically
flawlessly, eMMC is used as system disk. I did couple of system rebuilds
from source, no problem with this.

Then I proceeded with Xorg. I built everything from ports, using
x11/xorg-minimal port. Intel video driver is used along with
graphics/drm-next-kmod. Everything built well, X runs.

Problem is, no response to keyboard presses. At this point, I am stuck.
On another system with the same problem I am able to use 'workaround' of
disabling kbdmux and using basically two keyboards, PS/2 for console
and USB for X. It is not possible here, only USB keyboard is available.

I tried to repeat it here and it works basically the same - I just have
no working keyboard for console, and X needs to be started via ssh with
command 'startx < /dev/ttyv0'. This is all with devd autoconfig
backend, no explicit configuration files'. Without devd backend I did
not manage to create any working setup.

So here are two questions:

1. How are others doing in this situation? Computers with only USB
keyboard must be quite common these days and there must be plenty of
them working with X.

2. As a acceptable workaround for me would be graphical login screen, I
tried installing x11/xdm, but it just dumps core. I have no idea yet,
what's wrong here. Is there other way of auto starting X after boot?

Regards,
Milan