Where are framebuffers/visuals created?

Theron theron.tarigo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 19:21:04 UTC 2018

On 9/26/18 9:32 AM, Bengt Ahlgren wrote:
> I'd like to try to debug and find the cause of this issue with Kwin, but
> I don't know where in the graphics stack to start digging:
>
> https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2018-April/027704.html
>
> In short, after an update of Mesa, Kwin complained about not finding the
> appropriate framebuffer, and refused doing compositing with opengl.
>
> So, my question is: where in the graphics stack are the
> framebuffers/visuals created?
>
> Bengt

Try what others have suggested, but here is one thing to consider: Is
this is really a framebuffer issue?

 From Greg Rivers's Xorg.0.log:
[    54.162] (==) intel(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
[    54.221] (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
Indicates it is indeed a 32-bit framebuffer, so the relaxation of this
requirement is moot.  Depth 24 is the three out of four channels
actually used for display.

"Could not find a framebuffer configuration ..." is a very common error
message across GL applications in case of misconfigured or incompatible
OpenGL for the reason that opening the framebuffer is the first
GL-related action performed; it could be a more general OpenGL problem
not specific to the framebuffer.

Theron