VirtualBox W7 guest not resuming

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 19:00:57 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 10:02 AM Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 7:28 AM Adam <amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Rolling back drm-stable-kmod to the last version (*477762*
>>> <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=477762>) fixed
>>> the problem.
>>>
>>> While it is possible that something that the vbox port was doing
>>> something wrong that the prior versions were allowing, I think that is
>>> quite unlikely. It is almost certainly the drm module that is the culprit.
>>>
>>> Where can I find the guest log? O have searched the C: disk for vbox.log
>>> files and find none.
>>>
>>> Tomorrow I will
>>>

>> The guest Vbox logs are on the host-side, for me they reside at:
>>
>> ~/VirtualBox\ VMs/Windows/Logs/
>>
>> My windows 7 works fine with the latest drm, but I don't ever try to
>> resume either.  I always cold boot, and do my snapshots from ZFS.
>>
>> --
>> Adam
>>

> I have nothing in my VirtualBox VMs directory other then my vdi file for
> the Windows7 VM. A bit of searching led me to an Oracle article that
> pointed me to ~/.VirtualBox/Machines/VM_NAME/Logs and there they were.
>
> The failure is when the guest extensions load.
> 00:00:15.003600 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Interface =
> 0x00010004 osType = 0x00037000 (Windows 7, 32-bit)
> 00:00:15.003777 AssertLogRel
> /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-5.2.18/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/SSM.cpp(6140)
> int ssmR3DataReadRecHdrV2(PSSMHANDLE): !pSSM->u.Read.fEndOfData
> 00:00:15.003789 SSM: LoadExec failed for 'vga' instance #0 (version 19,
> pass 0xffffffff): VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH
> 00:00:15.003803 SSM: Unit at 0x6c64f270, current position: offUnit=0x1ab4
> offUnitUser=0x2731
> 00:00:15.003811 VMSetError:
> /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-5.2.18/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/SSM.cpp(8707)
> int ssmR3LoadExecV2(PVM, PSSMHANDLE); rc=VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH
> 00:00:15.003815 VMSetError: Failed to load unit 'vga'
>
> The problem goes away when I downgrade the drm kernel modules. I will now
> try shutting down the VM and restarting wit the latest kernel modules.

After several reboots under varying conditions it looks like this only
happens if the VM is paused when the new drm is instantiated. If it is
shutdown, everything works fine.

If you take the paused system, resume under the old DRM, shutdown, boot
with the latest DRM, everything is fine and pause and resume work as
expected from that point on.

Why this could happen baffles me. but the issues is resolved for me. I have
always shutdown VMs before updating versions of VBox, but, of course, not
for other port upgrades. So this looks like a really weird corner case. I
seriously doubt that it is worth the effort of tracking it down.

BTW, the Oracle article
<https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/virtualbox-log-files-v2> listing the
location as .VirtualBox/Machines is dated June of last year, so it's not
really all that old. I am running 5.2.18 with the 5.2.18 Guest Additions.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com