Need help upgrading to 13-current

AN a.n.us at ieee.org
Tue Nov 13 16:21:22 UTC 2018

Hi:

I would really appreciate some help upgrading several workstations.
I'm working on the first one and I ran into the following problem.

After rebooting and starting X it works but something is wrong with
mate-panel.  I can see the panel start for a second or two and then it
goes away.  So I think there is something wrong with mate-panel or
maybe some dependencies.  I rebuilt mate-panel but that didn't fix it.
I plan on rebuilding dependencies when I get home, currently @work.
Also, I have compiz set to start when I startx so maybe it has
something to do with compiz.  I will rebuild those ports also and see
if that helps.  Unfortunately, there is a checkbox setting to turn
compiz off but I can't get to it because I can't get to the desktop.
Is there a way to turn off compiz from the command line?

What I've done so far:
updated to 13 current
added user to video group
installed drm-kmod
put kld_list="/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko"
rebuilt all ports using portupgrade -vaf
pkg delete -f mate matedesktop
pkg install mate mate-desktop
(some pkg variable got changed from 12->13 for those ports - i forget
what its called)
pkg delete -f xorg
pkg install xorg

A few questions:
what is the exact recommended procedure to update ports from
12-current to 13-current?

what is the command to change ports variable from 12 to 13 I forget
what the term is called? (something like change from 12 -> 13)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks for reading