Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics card fails: open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Fri May 25 16:03:39 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 6:42 PM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
> xf86-video-ati-7.9.0_1,1 is installed.
>
> Wiki also doesn't mention if this card is supported or not:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
>

> This card identifies as:
>
> # pciconf -lv | grep -A 4 vga
> vgapci0 at pci0:0:1:0:    class=0x030000 card=0x39f917aa chip=0x98e41002
> rev=0xda hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
>     device     = 'Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics]'

Hi, you need to install the drm-next-kmod package and load either the
"radeonkms" or the "amdgpu" kernel module. (Stoney is GCN 1.2, should
be supported by both I think.) The installation message will tell you
how to set up loading the module at boot.

Forget about xf86-video-ati, that's ancient stuff. You don't have to
configure anything in xorg, it should use modesetting/glamor
automatically.

Note that if you use UEFI boot, you need to disable the EFI framebuffer
(hw.syscons.disable=1) for now:
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/issues/170
With that, you won't see the console before the module is loaded.
You can use SSH to test loading the kernel module if it doesn't auto
load.