Help needed :)

Johannes Lundberg johalun0 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:34:15 UTC 2018

Hi Ben (and welcome to FreeBSD) (cc: graphics ml)

You said in an earlier email that you are a long time developer in drm/i915
and I was hoping you could help us zone in on one particular issue.

Our drm-stable-kmod package is based on Linux 4.9 and is running without
issues.

drm-next-kmod is based on 4.11 and we have some vaapi rendering regression.

Between 4.9 and 4.11 we restructured a lot, moving drm bits out of the
kernel tree into it's own repo so bisecting to find where the problem was
introduced is very difficult.

The issue is here (with screenshots):
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/32

Maybe you are familiar with what could be the reason behind the rendering
issues with vaapi?

Since then we have continued to merge updates from upstream and we're now
almost ready to release our drm drivers based on 4.15.

https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/tree/drm-v4.15

The vaapi rendering issue still remains unchanged but we're hoping to fix
that for this release.

Latest driver code:
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/tree/drm-v4.15/drivers/gpu/drm/i915

Our drm drivers depends on linuxkpi which is split in two parts, gplv2 and
non-gplv2.

Latest version of non-gplv2 linuxkpi for 4.15 has not yet been merged into
upstream freebsd and can be found here:
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/tree/drm-v4.15-WIP/sys/compat/linuxkpi/common

gplv2 parts are here:
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/tree/drm-v4.15/linuxkpi

We are grateful for any clues you might have.

PS. If you're interested in FreeBSD and would like to join/help us, we'd be
happy to have someone from upstream i915 onboard :)

Thanks
/Johannes