[RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

Johannes Lundberg johalun0 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 09:07:33 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 9:14 AM, Scott Bennett <bennett at sdf.org> wrote:

> "K. Macy" <kmacy at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 10:07 AM, Steve Kargl
> > <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> bits

> removing a

> > > Why?  "If it isn't broken, why fix it?"
> > >
> > > The conflict affects x86_64-*-freebsd aka amd64.  The
> > > conflict does not affect any other architecture.  The
> > > Makefile infrastructure can use MACHINE_ARCH to exclude
> > > drm2 from build of amd64.
> > >
> > <strawman ... clipped>
> > Having it as a port puts the burden squarely on those using it and not
> > on the majority who are running hardware from this decade.
> >
>      Ah, yes, hurrah for free software (and dedication to the wealthy)!
> Nice attitude.  Also, remember that not all X.org users are PC gamers.

We're not talking about removing support for anyone - only making it easier
for us maintain and easier for new users to install and use without
conflicts.
Why punish the majority of users because a few thinks it's too much trouble
to execute 'pkg install graphics-driver' once per install? Yes, half of the
issues we get from users are module loading conflicts due to drm2 in base.

Sounds like you believe we have an obligation to maintain legacy code for
free on our spare time. We don't. Of course, we will make sure nothing
breaks when moving it to ports but if there's breakage later in drm2 due to
kernel changes, drm-next has priority since the majority is using that. But
hell, if no one else steps up to maintain it, we might even sacrifice some
time to try to fix the legacy code if you could show some appreciation for
our work instead of wining.

Besides, if you want to keep your system as is, there's nothing stopping
you to stay at 11 which still has a long time left to live.

Lastly, not all people who bought a laptop after 2010 is a PC gamer...
Actually hardly none is...