[RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 18 23:41:55 UTC 2018

On 18 May, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Steve Kargl <
> sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

>> driver.

>> freebsd.org"
>> > >

>> > Sounds good ( deprecate resp remove ). It causes more confusion and
>> > problems and it solves nothing.
>> >

>> Check the Makefiles
>>
>> % more /usr/ports/graphics/drm-next-kmod/Makefile
>>
>> ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= amd64
>> ONLY_FOR_ARCHS_REASON=  the new KMS components are only supported on amd64
>>
>> Not to ia32 friendly.
>>

> So do people use i386 for desktop? And need the latest KMS stuff?

I use it on my Pentium-M laptop.  I don't need the latest KMS stuff, but
I do need X11 so that I can use a browser, vncviewer, and a few terminal
windows.  Falling back to VESA resolution would suck.  It's currently
running 11.0-STABLE. I'm planning on migrating everything over to 12.0
sometime after 12.0-RELEASE.

I have one other i386-class machine, but it only needs a text console.
Everything else here is amd64.