your mail

Johannes Lundberg johalun0 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:13:22 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:48 AM, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 5:34 PM, Johannes Lundberg <johalun0 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 9:58 AM, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> trying

>>> light:

>>> stack

>>> frowned

>>> the
>>> here,

>>> something

>>> which
>>> ports
>>> one,
>>> We
>>> there as
>>> there, but

>>> 100%

>>> serves
>>> hack
>>> graphics

>>> don't
>>> I'm

>>> on
>>> bits
>>> started
>>> place to
>>> building
>>> with

>>> exactly how

>>> same

>>> Thanks for the clarification.
>>>
>>> I think that something so integral to FreeBSD can't be a patchwork of
>>> duct-tape and bubblegum.
>>>

>> You're pissing on people who are working their ass off to provide good
>> and modern graphics support for FreeBSD.
>> If you can get Intel and AMD to port their drivers to FreeBSD or find the
>> manpower to maintain our own driver, sure we would be extremely grateful.
>> At least I would get 10+ hours more spare time every week.
>>
>> Also, LinuxKPI not only supports up to date graphics drivers but also
>> network drivers (which are used by large companies in production) and is
>> definitely not a patchwork.
>> LinuxKPI enables use of devices otherwise only support by Linux with
>> minimal porting effort. I'm sure you can see that this is for the good of
>> FreeBSD as a whole.
>>

>>> Best,
>>> Owen
>>>

>> Johannes you do great work but you missed my point.
>
> There's absolutely no reason for anyone to invest any resources into
> developing a proper graphics stack for FreeBSD if the FreeBSD devs are only
> going to rely on Jerry-rigged stuff from Linux.
>
> The mailing list is bombarded by regressions and issues with the Linuxkpi
> stuff. For lightweight stuff sure, use the Linuxkpi if u have to but for a
> major component of the platform, that's just pathetic.
>
> There are talented devs out there who can get the work done, they just
> need to be financing, then organized.
>
> Seeing as most other platforms got their networking stack from BSD, it's a
> sad state when FreeBSD has to use Linuxkpi to get networking drivers.
>
> If stating that the FreeBSD graphics stack is in a sad position is
> "shitting on people" then I'm guilty of that.
>
> I just know that we can and should do better.
>
> As far as your 10+ hours per week, I see you working on Wayland stuff, how
> much of your work is actively developing and upstreaming FreeBSD code vs
> fiddling around with Linuxkpi issues?
>
> Unless the *BSD start upstreaming code, the *BSD will just continue to sit
> in a quagmire or just another Linux distro.

Even if we had the resources, keeping multiple versions of massive drivers
like AMD and Intel DRM drivers is insane, especially considering how fast
the hardware is evolving.
One other possibility would be to create a Common Kernel Programming
Interface for device drivers that would allow devices manufactures to write
one driver for all Linux and *BSDs.

However, this is a lot more tricky when you're in the kernel compared to
userland.