i915kms driver crashing in CURRENT

Johannes Lundberg johalun0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 11:44:43 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 1:04 AM, Phil Eaton <philneaton95 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just updated CURRENT today and experienced kernel panics related to the
> i915kms driver. I recompiled the i915kms driver based on HEAD of the
> kms-drm
> <https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm> repo and things started
> working
> again.
>
> I've attached some relevant files.

Hi

If by "based on HEAD of the kms-drm" you mean the master branch, that is
outdated.
If you're running stock kernel, I recommend installing graphics drivers
using pkg.

pkg install drm-stable-kmod (the drm-v4.9 branch)
pkg install drm-next-kmod (the drm-v4.11 branch (usable but opencl, vulkan
and vaapi decoding has bugs))

If you want to experiment with the newest version, try branch drm-v4.15-WIP
but that requires a kernel (or linuxkpi.ko only is fine) from here:
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/tree/drm-v4.15-WIP

/Johannes