Audio output in Friefox

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Sun Jul 1 22:46:43 UTC 2018

On 01/07/2018 21:49, Greg V wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 12:27 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/07/2018 03:03, Adam wrote:
>>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 6:40 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com
>>> <mailto:list1 at gjunka.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hello,
>>>
>>>     Firefox options allow to use ALSA/JACK/PulseAudio/SndIO as audio
>>>     output. Assuming that more than one is selected, how can I switch
>>>     which one Firefox should use?
>>>
>>>     Thanks
>>>
>>>     GrzegorzJ
>>>

>>> pkg info -D firefox
>>
>> Excellent, thank you Adam! Do you know why Jack is being selected by
>> default rather than Alsa or even OSS, which also seems to be working
>> fine?
>
> Maybe because you have a JACK server running?
>
> It's always been 'pulse-rust' for me.

Yes, I do have the JACK server configured and running, but should that
be enough to enable this particular backend by default? OSS and Alsa are
also available. Why choose JACK over them? I am not complaining, just
trying to understand how the selection happens, i.e. if it's automatic
or hardcoded in some FreeBSD patches or Firefox code.