Does either Gnome or KDE support Wayland on FreeBSD? [EOM]

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Sun Jul 1 21:54:59 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 2:45 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:

> On 30/06/2018 20:37, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
>> I don’t know about Gnome or KDE but GTK3 apps work with Wayland.
>> It needs ports built with custom options though.
>>

> Building ports isn't a problem, however I don't understand how
> particular apps can work with Wayland. I thought that they would need
> to run inside Weston or some other compositor, which in turn runs on
> Wayland? Is the X server in that configuration running as a Wayland
> client with with the GTK3 apps running outside of the X server (i.e.
> are managed by the compositor directly)?

Yes, you can run them inside e.g. Weston or Sway.

Compositors don't run "on" Wayland, Wayland is a protocol.
The compositor is the display server, it implements the server side of
Wayland.
(Compositors can run in windowed mode under X or under another Wayland
compositor, for development/debugging purposes.)

For backwards compatibility, the X server is indeed running as a
Wayland client, this is called Xwayland, this is optional.

About KDE: I think KDE's kwin_wayland is available now too, but I'm not
sure if it would run directly as the main display server (not windowed
mode) right now on FreeBSD without additional patches (because of
vt/session management stuff -- though maybe ConsoleKit2 might work?).