Hardware assisted video decoding on Radeon KMS driver?

ralph ralph at riseup.net
Sun Feb 18 22:14:55 UTC 2018

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 22:25:40 +0000
tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have one of these as well. Didn't know if it was accelerated or not,
> used the radeonkms driver. It ran with 11-1 stable for a while, nice n
> sharp screen. What made me install linux mint was the fact that I
> couldn't dim the screen on freebsd. It was stuck at 100%. cpufreq
> couldn't work with the chip. These two things were a bit of a
> dealbreaker for me with this netbook.
>
> That was with 11-stable of a while ago now. I'll give 12-current and
> that new drm-next-kmod a spin.
>
> My previous dmesg on freebsd and linux are at
> https://www.zyxst.net/txt/amd-c70-netbook/

I managed to dim the screen by loading the acpi_video module, then:

	# sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness=<value>

Trying the brightness fn keys doesn't work, but gives me the following
system message:

	can't evaluate \134_SB_.PCI0.VGA_.LCDD._BQC - AE_NOT_FOUND

The acpi_asus and acpi_asus_wmi modules do not seem to work at all. I'll
probably look further into this at a later time, but since I usually
only change the brightness once a day or so, it's not a big issue.
--
ralph