A question about graphics subsystems under FreeBSD

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Thu Dec 27 13:30:50 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 10:15 PM, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org>
wrote:

> On 12/23/18 3:41 PM, Manish Jain wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a port mkdesktop which simplifies the task of FreeBSD desktop
>> configuration. I was looking to enhance the port in its
>> capabilities and it would help me if I could know the various pkg's
>> and kld's needed by the various chipsets.
>>
>> As per my (incomplete) knowledge, the following are usually needed:
>>
>> Chipset   | <Packages>                 | <Modules>
>>
>> AMD GPU   | drm-kmod:xf86-video-amdgpu |
>> Radeon    | drm-kmod:xf86-video-ati    | radeonkms.ko**
>> NVidia    | drm-kmod:nvidia-driver     | nvidia.ko:nvidia-modeset.ko
>> Intel GPU | drm-kmod:xf86-video-intel  |
>>
>> (** : Radeon appears to need radeon.ko and radeonkms.ko under
>> FreeBSD 11.x, and only radeonkms.ko in 12.0)
>>
>> I doubt if the above table is entirely correct and complete.
>> Could someone please fill me in on the missing tidbits so that I can
>> enhance my port (mkdesktop).
>>

> We've been trying to get the wiki in better shape in regards to AMD
> GPU and Intel i915 graphics.  Here are two tables which should be
> pretty up to date (although I suspect some of the newer CPU's need to
> be added):
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/AMD-GPU-Matrix
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Intel-GPU-Matrix

Hi,

The AMD matrix is the opposite of up to date, it shows support ending
at Sea Islands, while actually everything up to and including Polaris
works perfectly with drm-kmod, even Vega works.

Some other things that are really important and should be mentioned on
the wiki:

- radeonkms/amdgpu currently conflicts with the EFI framebuffer, have
to use 'hw.syscons.disable=1' to disable it (and lose graphics output
until the driver loads) as a workaround —
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/DEPRECATED-freebsd-base-graphics/issues/170
- amdgpu currently requires the following patch to unbreak OpenCL,
Vulkan and Xwayland:
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/33#issuecomment-422793245