A question about graphics subsystems under FreeBSD

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Mon Dec 24 14:19:58 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 2:41 AM, Manish Jain <jude.obscure at yandex.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a port mkdesktop which simplifies the task of FreeBSD desktop
> configuration. I was looking to enhance the port in its capabilities
> and it would help me if I could know the various pkg's and kld's
> needed by the various chipsets.
>
> As per my (incomplete) knowledge, the following are usually needed:
>
> Chipset   | <Packages>                 | <Modules>
>
> AMD GPU   | drm-kmod:xf86-video-amdgpu |
> Radeon    | drm-kmod:xf86-video-ati    | radeonkms.ko**
> NVidia    | drm-kmod:nvidia-driver     | nvidia.ko:nvidia-modeset.ko
> Intel GPU | drm-kmod:xf86-video-intel  |

- mesa-dri/mesa-libs are needed for both AMD and Intel
- the kernel modules you're missing: amdgpu.ko, i915kms.ko
- *really* old (*ancient*) Radeons might need drm-legacy-kmod and
xf86-video-ati-legacy
- "not too old, but not new either" Radeons (Southern Islands and Sea
Islands — from HD7750 to R9 290) are supported by *both* radeonkms
and amdgpu kernel drivers (amdgpu is of course the newer and better one)
- xf86-video-intel is a semi-abandoned pile of bugs, try just not
installing it, the default "modesetting" driver with GLAMOR
acceleration usually works better
- xf86-video-amdgpu is not strictly necessary, it's similar to
"modesetting", though it sometimes seems to fix screen tearing, so i'd
say keep it