xserver - black screen

starikarp at yandex.com starikarp at yandex.com
Mon Dec 24 14:02:33 UTC 2018

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 17:06:35 -0500
<starikarp at yandex.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 11:22:46 -0800
> Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>
> > On 12/22/18 9:29 AM, starikarp at yandex.com wrote:

> > > Thank you.
> > > The log is when I try to start xserver. Everything was black and I
> > > need to restart computer. I just press ctrl-alt-F3 and than ctrl-c
> > > and shutdown - now and boot me back. But the problem is also if I
> > > kldload /boot/modules/radeonkms.ko. The screen is black and I need
> > > restart again.
> >
> > hrm nothing is jumping out at me yet.
> >
> > can you post a dmesg from when you boot the system and enable
> >
> > kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
> >
> > it should have a bunch of loglines prefixed with [drm] - that
> > should show us if the driver is attaching correctly.
> >
> > looking at the Xorg.0.log you sent I don't see anything obviously
> > wrong aside from this:
> >
> > [  1675.580] (II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0
> > [  1675.586] (II) RADEON(0): Setting screen physical size to 677 x
> > 381 [  1675.648] failed to add FB for modeset
> > [  1675.648] (WW) RADEON(0): Failed to set mode on CRTC 0
> > [  1675.657] (EE) RADEON(0): Failed to enable any CRTC
> >

> > hopefully there will more useful info in the dmesg buffer when you
> > load the radeonkms driver vi rc.conf.  one final thing you can also
> > try is uninstalling the drm-kmod package and installing the
> > "drm-legacy-kmod" package if you haven't tested that already.
> >
> > cheers,
> > -pete
> >

> I did install drm-legacy-kmod and also ati-legacy.
> I did run kldload /boot/modules/radeonkms.ko and screen became black.
> I didn't saw anything but I try kldunload radeonkms.ko and nothing
> happened and then shutdown -r now and please check attached file.
>
> Thank you very much.

Some more info:
dmidecode -t bios
# dmidecode 3.2
# SMBIOS entry point at 0xbf65f000
Found SMBIOS entry point in EFI, reading table from /dev/mem.
SMBIOS 2.4 present.

Handle 0x0036, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
        Vendor: Apple Inc.
        Version:    IM111.88Z.0034.B02.1003171314
        Release Date: 03/17/10
        ROM Size: 4096 kB
        Characteristics:
                PCI is supported
                BIOS is upgradeable
                BIOS shadowing is allowed
                Boot from CD is supported
                Selectable boot is supported
                ACPI is supported
                IEEE 1394 boot is supported
                Smart battery is supported
                Function key-initiated network boot is supported
        BIOS Revision: 0.1

Handle 0x004E, DMI type 13, 22 bytes
BIOS Language Information
        Language Description Format: Long
        Installable Languages: 1
                <BAD INDEX>
        Currently Installed Language: Not Specified

and from pciconf -lv
vgapci0 at pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x00b5106b chip=0x944a1002
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00 vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
    device     = 'RV770/M98L [Mobility Radeon HD 4850]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA