[CFT] Mesa 18.3.0 update (mesa-libs, mesa-dri, libosmesa, clover)

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 9 03:31:31 UTC 2018

Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 1:38 PM Jan Beich <jbeich at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > As far as firefox is concerned, I tried running it with the "MOZ"
>> variables
>> > Jan listed, but I still got the same status message in about:support. I
>> > also looked though about:config for relevant settings, but came up blank.
>>
>> That's expected. Environment variables override hardware qualifications.
>> Whether WebRender is actually in-use is decided by Compositing field.
>> WebRender (like WebGL 2) requires OpenGL 3.2+ which SandyBridge supports.
>> If it fails you'd see "unavailable by runtime: WebRender initialization
>> failed".
>>
>>   $ MOZ_ACCELERATED=1 MOZ_WEBRENDER=1 firefox --new-instance --profile
>> $(mktemp -dt ffprofile) about:support
[...]
>> If you're curious how fast WebRender is try toggling
>> gfx.webrender.debug.profiler
>> which would enable profiling overlay that shows FPS, CPU/GPU usage, etc.
>>

> With entering the variables correctly, I see both as enabled by user, but
> the profiler sees no GPU use at all. about:support output exactly matches
> what you show.

Also expected. WebRender uses GL_EXT_debug_marker to collect GPU profiles
which isn't implemented by Mesa.

  $ MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE=+GL_EXT_debug_marker glxgears
  Mesa 18.3.0 implementation error: Trying to enable unknown extension: GL_EXT_debug_marker
  Please report at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Mesa
  ^C

https://github.com/servo/webrender/blob/7c4162c58197/webrender/src/renderer.rs#L1969
https://feedback.wildfiregames.com/report/opengl/feature/GL_EXT_debug_marker