[CFT] Mesa 18.3.0 update (mesa-libs, mesa-dri, libosmesa, clover)

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 19:05:46 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 10:12 AM Greg V <greg at unrelenting.technology> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 8:34 PM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > mesa18.3 is running fine on my Sandy Bridge system. 1080p  video plays
> > smoothly with little CPU load.  glgears runs 60 FPS with vsync and
> > just
> > under 5000 without.
> >
> > I didn't think that the HD3000 did HW compositing. Firefox reports it
> > "Blocked by platform".
>
> Yes, Firefox still doesn't enable HW compositing by default on
> Linux/BSD/etc.
>
> You have to force-enable it in about:config (or via environment
> variables).
>
> > Again I see the implication that VAAPI is AMD specific. AFAIK, it is
> > the
> > Intel specific implementation of Gallium. In any case, it is required
> > (with
> > the libva-intel-driver) for video acceleration on the HD3000 GPU.
>
> To clear some confusion:
>
> - VA-API is, well, an API. For video encode/decode acceleration;
> - Mesa has a VAAPI implementation for AMD Radeons;
> - libva-intel-driver is a VAAPI implementation for Intel iGPUs — it's
> *not part of Mesa*, it's an independent Intel project;
> - Gallium is an internal graphics-related part of Mesa that doesn't
> have much to do with VAAPI.
>
> Sorry for the top post! I didn't mean to so that.

Thanks, Greg, for the explanation on VAAPI use. It's still a bit confusing.
Does this mean that building mesa with VAAPI enabled is meaningless for
Intel processors?

As far as firefox is concerned, I tried running it with the "MOZ" variables
Jan listed, but I still got the same status message in about:support. I
also looked though about:config for relevant settings, but came up blank.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com