VGA adapter not working

Stephan Feinen stephan at feinen.com
Sat Aug 25 18:58:50 UTC 2018

On 08/22/18 21:47, Florian Limberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently reinstalled my old Thinkpad T410 with ZFS and -CURRENT, but I
> cannot get my VGA adapter working. It worked before and it also works
> with Linux from a memory stick. The notebook has NVIDIA Optimus, but it
> is disabled and set to  discrete graphics in the BIOS, using the
> x11/nvidia-driver-340 driver. X11 works, but it does not find the
> correct resolution for the display. Also, xrandr does not report any
> other possible outputs.
>
> Currently I am at a loss about what is wrong with the setup and would
> greatly appreciate any hints and ideas.

Hi Florian,

I also use a T410 with FreeBSD for some time now but it has no NVIDIA graphics,
so it's running on the intel chipset.

Last year, after some FreeBSD update, the graphics would only be able to use
VESA modes.

After some tests I found out that the intel i915kms module wasn't loaded
automatically anymore.

So I added it to /etc/rc.conf:

kld_list="i915kms"

and after a reboot the graphics did work aggain.

You should be able to test this by entering

sudo kldload i915kms

on the command line and then start the X-server.

Just a guess, hope it helps
 stephan