Synaptics Issues

Dave Cottlehuber dch at skunkwerks.at
Fri Sep 8 06:56:12 UTC 2017

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017, at 20:43, abi wrote:
> Well, synaptics is not working for me at all (Dell XPS 13 Skylake). It
> loads, but produces a lot of spam in xorg log, mouse jumping randomly.
> It works as sysmouse. So, I think yes, Xorg or FreeBSD has something
> fishy with synaptics. Personally, I'm waiting for evdev or libinput
> support, so I disabled touchpad.

I've got an XPS13 Kaby Lake model touchpad works well enough for me
using freebsddesktop/drm-next branch since months. I haven't tweaked the
xorg setting much yet but its definitely usable. I tried it with
moused_enable=YES in /etc/rc.conf and it is unusable. relevant settings
below.

# /boot/loader.conf
hw.psm.synaptics_support=1

# /etc/rc.conf.d/moused actually not required
moused_enable=NO

#  /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/touchpad.conf
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse0"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Protocol"      "auto"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5 6 7"
        Option  "LeftEdge"  "100"
        Option  "RightEdge"  "1120"
        Option  "TopEdge"  "50"
        Option  "BottomEdge"  "310"
        Option  "FingerLow"  "25"
        Option  "FingerHigh"  "30"
        Option  "MaxTapTime"  "180"
        Option  "MaxTapMove"  "220"
        Option  "MaxDoubleTapTime"  "180"
        Option  "VertScrollDelta"  "20"
        Option  "HorizScrollDelta"  "50"
        Option  "MinSpeed"  "0.79"
        Option  "MaxSpeed"  "0.88"
        Option  "AccelFactor"  "0.0015"
        Option  "SHMConfig"  "on"
EndSection

I believe most of the above came out of
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/50170/ and
https://www.tomek.cedro.info/freebsd-synaptics-trackpadtouchpad/ has
some info on 2 finger scrolling but I'm largely a keyboard user so
haven't progressed further.

A+
Dave