intro

Tom Rushworth tom.b.rushworth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 21:35:00 UTC 2017

Hi Pete,

On 10/10/2017 13:51, Pete Wright wrote:

[snip]

> I'd suggest taking a look at TrueOS to see if the updated i915 support
> in there offers you a better X experience.
>
> https://www.trueos.org/
>
> TrueOS is FreeBSD with some nice prebuilt additions for desktops and
> laptops.  They even have a live image that should allow you to verify X
> is working as expected before you install it.

It sounds like the live image is worth trying, I'll do so shortly.

> If you are wanting to run vanilla FreeBSD and don't mind periodic
> instability you can also run 12-CURRENT and install the "drm-next-kmod"
> pkg.  Although depending on how much time you want to put into hacking
> on things TrueOS may be an easier entry point for you.

I don't mind CURRENT as long as the parts I'm using work :).  Doug Kirk
also pointed me at the graphics/drm-next-kmod port, which I'd guess
needs something close to CURRENT as well.

I'll give both suggestions a try over the weekend and report back.

Thanks everyone!

> HTH!
> -pete

Regards,