Can't configure Intel video card: hard freeze or fallback to VESA

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Thu Mar 23 16:35:06 UTC 2017

Le 23/03/2017 à 16:07, Conrad Meyer a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Do you have the i915kms kernel module loaded before starting X?  If
> not, try loading that first.  Second, can you try the "modesetting"
> Xorg video driver in place of "intel"?

Hi,

Still no luck. Here's what I did.

Install a vanilla FreeBSD 10.3 amd64 system. The only non-standard thing
I chose during install was adding documentation and kernel source.

# pkg install xorg

Then I edited /boot/loader.conf (which is empty in the default
configuration) and added these two lines:

kern.vty=vt
i915kms_load="YES"

I rebooted, and after the first few boot messages, the monitor went
black and the system froze. I have to hard-reset it. I don't even know
how to get it back short of reinstalling from scratch.

Any suggestions?

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr