X11 breaks for Intel after ports update from r433396 -> r433935?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 13 12:57:26 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 04:50:23AM -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:

> > That smells like the log from a -configure run, not from just trying
> > to start X normally.
>
> Aye, it was that.
>
> > I'm under the impression that -configure and friends are generally
> > considered to just be broken and useless nowadays, so I don't think
> > I'd assume whether/how it fails to be particularly associated with
> > whether/how Just Running X fails...
>
> Oh -- OK.  So... I removed /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf, then tried to
> start X (via xdm, as I've done for years).  Here's the resulting
> Xorg.0.log:

Are you on intel? if yes consider loading the i915kms by hand first

there seems to be a bug in latest intel ddx that makes it not load automagically
the kernel module, we are looking into it.

adding kld_list="i915kms" in your rc.conf should do it the right things.

Note that is no now recommanded by various projects to use the modesetting
driver (which xorg tries to load automatically if the intel driver is not
installed) and that driver will expect you to load the kernel module yourself in
advance as well by design

Best regards,
Bapt