CFT upgrade to xorg 1.18.4 and newer intel/ati DDX

Dominic Fandrey kami at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 10 13:58:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-01-24 at 00:55 +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> This is a call for testing for newer Xorg along with newer drivers: intel and
> ati.
>
> The patch against the head ports: https://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/newxorg.diff

I would just like to report that this update improves Xorgs responsiveness
under load significantly on my Haswell system.

Prior to the update under high load (i.e. building chromium), the
system would become so laggy that you could watch urxvt draw single
chararcters. I thought that this was a schedulare problem until I
noticed that the system responds fine on the system console.

Only by setting:
    Option "Throttle"        "false"
    Option "TripleBuffer"    "false"

could I retain a semblance of usability. The update, regardless of
using the intel or modesetting driver, fixes this issue. It is very
appreciated!

Now I would like to use this opportunity to direct your attention
to my patches against the devd device detection:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D9512

I made the to enable discovery of webcamd supported input devices.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?