OpenGL, nvidia-driver-304 and permissions issue

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 9 13:33:38 UTC 2017

Hello,

On a 10.3-R desktop, I've just upgraded the installed packages
to branches/2017Q1.  Since, I'm unable to run OpenGL related
applications as a vanilla user.  Before, I was running ports close
to branches/2016Q1

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 (x11/nvidia-driver-304, i.e.,
nvidia-driver-304-304.134).

As root, glxgears runs fine.
As a normal user:

% glxgears
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  30

I thought about the video group, but I don't have a video group and I
just have /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidiactl, no /dev/dri and such.

Do I have to create the video group and change the group for
/dev/nvidia* (currently, it's wheel)?

For informations:
# glxinfo | head -5
name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4

Excerpts from /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Section "Module"
    Load           "glx"
    Load           "dri2"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "record"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "type1"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTS 450"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
    Option         "metamodes" "1440x900 @2880x1800 +0+0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"