Vote: making wayland=on default (also posted to ports@)

Jonathan Anderson jonathan at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 20 19:23:56 UTC 2017

On 20 Dec 2017, at 13:31, Johannes Lundberg wrote:

>> // WAYLAND should be enabled by default in ports, and also
>> EVDEV_SUPPORT
>> should be enabled by default in the kernel! Currently you have to
>> recompile
>> the kernel yourself to get input devices working with Wayland
>> compositors
>> (or with xf86-input-libinput).
>
> Woot, it's not on by default? It's been a while since I used a stock
> kernel... Then we definitely need that as well. Good catch :)

+1

FWIW, I build base packages with an EVDEV kernel and dump them here:
https://allendale.engr.mun.ca/freebsd-evdev/

These are built by a local Jenkins server on a best-effort basis, so no
promises about availability, but if you're willing to trust some random
guy on the Internet to build your kernel for you, feel free to use these
packages. :) The kernel is in the `FreeBSD-kernel-evdev-nodebug`
package; it's just 12-CURRENT built with the following configuration
file:

```
include GENERIC-NODEBUG

ident   EVDEV-NODEBUG

# Enable /dev/input/eventX for input devices
device	evdev
options	EVDEV_SUPPORT
```
(from