Vote: making wayland=on default (also posted to ports@)

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Wed Dec 20 16:40:34 UTC 2017

On 12/20/2017 17:36, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 12:53:20 +0000
> Johannes Lundberg <johalun0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Can you guarantee this?  I seem to have mesa-libs stuff installed
>>> even though I use the nvidia-driver.  May be that pkg just
>>> installed mesa-libs as a dependency for some other package.
>>>
>>> I'm using the AMD Ryzen which has no on-board graphics, so I'm
>>> happily using my NVIDIA GPU and have absolutely no desire to
>>> change because someone enables wayland by default.
>>>
>> x11-toolkits/gtk30 will get some added dependencies:
>> libwayland-client.so:graphics/wayland \
>> libwayland-egl.so:graphics/mesa-libs \
>> libxkbcommon.so:x11/libxkbcommon
>>
>> Is this a problem for Nvidia users?
> I imagine the only way to find out would be to try it.  But if it's only gtk30, then it should
> be possible to avoid using it.
>
> I have no idea what wayland entails, or what it's good for, so I can't voice an opinion.
Of course there's no problem.

Wayland is a protocol for communicating between apps (clients) and a
compositor (server).
If you use Xorg instead of a Wayland compositor, UI toolkits and
applications including Wayland support by default changes *nothing* for
you, aside from using a tiny little bit of disk space.

All ports that need GBM/GLESv2/EGL/GL depend on mesa-libs! Nvidia does
not conflict with it in any way, it uses differently named libraries
e.g. libEGL-NVIDIA.so.

// WAYLAND should be enabled by default in ports, and also EVDEV_SUPPORT
should be enabled by default in the kernel! Currently you have to
recompile the kernel yourself to get input devices working with Wayland
compositors (or with xf86-input-libinput).