OpenCL/OpenGL contention on a device (was Re: x11/nvidia-driver-340 and OpenCL)

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Thu Aug 31 08:43:28 UTC 2017

Arto Pekkanen <isoa at kapsi.fi> wrote:

> If the GPU driver is implemented properly there will be no stutter or
> other problems even when running OpenCL jobs.

     Really!  So an OpenCL work item that needs, say, nearly all the available
memory on a graphics device and a 3D shader that has similar memory
requirements will not interfere with each other?  That seems rather magical
somehow, even if the OpenGL stuff always has a higher priority inside the GPU
than the OpenCL stuff.

> In Windows there is no problem running OpenCL jobs on the same device
> that operates your display. Like running a crypto currency miner while
> browsing the web. Playing games won't work well, but basic stuff you can do.

     Is that partly because the memory requirements of the "basic stuff" are
typically tiny when compared to the capacity of today's graphics devices?

> TL;DR when the FreeBSD GPU driver and all the userland bits are up to
> date, I'd expect there to be no issues with stuttering.

     Do you know the driver well enough to explain to me how the scheduling
inside a graphics device works?  I've never seen a description of the
algorithm(s) anywhere.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *