x11/nvidia-driver-340 and OpenCL

Jan Beich jbeich at vfemail.net
Sun Aug 27 08:53:55 UTC 2017

Scott Bennett <bennett at sdf.org> writes:

>      My current system has a pair of 10-year-old Radeon HD 3870x2 cards
> interconnected by a Crossfire cable.  Those cards support OpenGL 4, but
> do not support OpenCL, unfortunately.  My previous computer, now sitting
> unused in a corner, has an EVGA GeForce 210 card in it that supports only
> OpenGL 3.1, according to the box it came in, but does support OpenCL,
> though it doesn't say up to which version of OpenCL.  The modern
> x11/nvidia-driver does not support this older card, but
> x11/nvidia-driver-340 does support it.  I could pull one of the Radeon
> cards, disconnecting the unsupported-by-X.org Crossfire cable, and
> replace the card with the EVGA card if the older driver it requires
> supports OpenCL on it.  Can anyone tell me whether it does?  If so, I
> would like to leave the monitor connected to the remaining Radeon card
> and use the Nvidia-based EVGA card just for OpenCL.  I would rather not
> spend money on a newer and more powerful card from either company just
> to familiarize myself with OpenCL, and the EVGA ought to be good enough
> for that purpose if the driver will support it.
>      Thanks in advance for any information on this!

NVIDIA seems to implement OpenCL via CUDA runtime but both are
missing[1] in the FreeBSD driver. CUDA is known to work via 32bit
linuxulator but not 64bit one (bug 206711). OpenCL may work as well
after extracting under /compat/linux at least nvidia.icd,
libnvidia-opencl.so.1 and dependencies from Linux version of the driver.

--
[1] NVIDIA driver for FreeBSD is probably in maintenance-only mode given new
    features like DRM KMS or Vulkan are also missing for more than a year.